Friday, July 9, 2010

WWI

I have enjoyed learning more about WWI this week in class, and I’m sure that it will only get more interesting from here. When it comes to learning about history, from this point forward is probably my favorite time period. I’m not sure if it’s because it seems more real due to pictures and such, or if it’s because there are still people alive from this period of time; but, whatever the reason, I really enjoy it. When we discussed the letters, the Wipers Times, and mentioned the poetry in class today I was able to see a different perspective that was not one I had previously considered. I’m sure I’m not the only one who really enjoys this time period, and seeing it from a different angle has been interesting.
One of the reasons I enjoyed the letters and Wipers Times was because it gives you the perspective of both the officers in the back, and the men in front on the ground. I feel like the letters showed us the more noble and proud attitudes that a lot of the higher-up men had, while the Wipers Times showed us the dark humor and at times whining attitudes of the men up front. The proud attitude held by all of the men involved is visible throughout all of the literary works that we read. They might not have been proud of why they were fighting, but they were proud of themselves and their comrades for the men that they were.
Although we didn’t talk much about it in class, I really enjoyed the poetry that we read. I think poetry is a beautiful way to portray something as ugly as war. Some of the poetry was graphic and showed the less glorious side of war, while some was inspiring and telling of the minds and attitudes of soldiers from the eyes of another. I don’t know the history of each of the poets whose work we read, but it could be more inspiring if the poetry came from someone with first-hand experience. The poetry that Jesse Pope wrote that glorified war and the soldier along with the later written refute from Wilfred Owen shows that even in writing about war, everyone has a different perspective. Owen shows the more gruesome and haunting effects that war can have, while Pope writes about the pride and glory that it can have as well.
All of the things we have read about WWI and all who were involved have been interesting and at times fun. As we continue to read and discuss the happenings of the world during and after WWI, I hope to gain a greater knowledge and different perspective of the people and places that were involved. The letters and poetry are just a few examples of view-points that we might not always get to see, but that give insight beyond the average history book. This time period is full of perspectives and people that were influential in essentially changing the world. Though this could be argued for all of history, I think that from the 1900s to present is more influential because of the global changes that were brought about by many of its events.

6 comments:

  1. I also enjoy history too because I like learning about the things that happend in history that made the world what it is today. I feel like the poems from WWI were used to display the war artistically. Not every soldier was given a camera to capture the events of the war, the only thing they had was a pen and paper. I feel like the poems we read in class were ways of giving the readers a picture of what the war was like with words instead of paintings and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I definitely agree with you about the 20th Century being a great period of history to study. I always feel like I can relate to it pretty well, and I especially enjoy learning about post-WWII to present day since I feel like we never made it that far in high school. The additional readings have been really helpful for me, and provide more insight than just reading everything from a textbook. Effective poetry can provide just as clear an illustration as a photograph, and the fact that soldiers were writing these pieces during breaks between battles gives them even greater weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that this is an interesting time period to study. As we get closer to modern day, i am more able to relate to the words of the people. Primary sources like the ones we read shed begin to more closely resemble the more modern attitudes we so often have. The poetry was definitely interesting as it is a medium that relies on beauty and style to represent war, which like you said, is such an ugly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I agree that this time period is fascinating, because we are living in a world that has evolved directly from these events. I like history in general, but I feel more connected to the events of the 20th century onward, because of relatives', friends', and my own experiences. I've always liked war poetry as well. I don't think poetry will ever be as popular to write again, but I hope the wars we are currently in will produce some lasting contribution to that art. When the poetry comes from someone who was actually involved, I think it's a great way to pass on the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, I also find this time period in history fascinating, because we are living in a world that has evolved directly from these events. I like history in general, but my relatives', friends', and my own experiences make me feel more connected to the 20th century onward. I've always liked war poetry as well. When it's written by someone who was actually involved, I think it's a great way to share the experience. I doubt poetry will ever become as popular to write again, but I hope some kind of contribution is made from people in the wars we are currently in. All of our other wars have a considerable amount of lines dedicated to them, from The Revolution the Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The readings for this week are always one of my favorites. No matter how many times I read some of the poems, they still get to me. Perhaps it is because World War I really represents the great divide between the 19th and 20th centuries and highlights how the world that emerged was so different from the world that had been.

    ReplyDelete