Friday, June 11, 2010

Sapere Aude!

On Thursday we talked about the Enlightenment and what it meant. We discussed the motto by Kant - Sapere Aude! “Dare to know!” I was asked in class if I thought it was an appropriate motto for the time and events taking place. While I am sure it can be argued that the motto is adequate; I disagree with that thought. I think the motto leaves something to be desired in describing this time period. There are examples of people and mottos that define or mark a radical time period, and there are people and mottos that are just remembered or associated with a time period.
Some examples of radical people include Galileo and with his heliocentric view, Martin Luther and his 95 thesis, Albert Einstein and his physics approach that was contrary to the popular beliefs, Amelia Earhart and her radical flying career, Christopher Columbus and his view of a round world. The list could go on and on. Some mottos that were defining of a place, time period, or people include the Marine Corps motto - Semper fidelis “Always faithful,” Martin Luther King Jr – “I have a dream,” Hitler’s Youth – Blut und Ehre “Blood and Honor.” All of these mottos and people were radical! Their views and sayings exemplified their beliefs and goals. While Sapere Aude! does express what the philosophes wanted the people to do, it does not define this movement or pattern of thought. People who were truly daring did things that others did not, this does not include going along with what the philosophes wanted everyone to do. I understand that during that time it was not common for people to voice their thoughts or opinions, but it was not radical to have one’s own thoughts. I think that the philosophes wanted people to act on their beliefs, not to just have them. Some mottos and people are memorable, but that did not make them daring or radical.
A few examples of memorable, but not radical people include Babe Ruth, Theodore Roosevelt, Marilyn Monroe, and Tupac. Mottos that we know and remember include “Just Do It” by Nike, “I’m Lovin’ it” by McDonalds, “Be the Change You Want to See” by Gandhi, “May the Force Be With You” from Star Wars. We remember these people and these mottos, but that does not mean they define or are the best example of a given time period. To say that any of these people or these mottos are radical would be giving them more credit than they are due. In saying that Sapere Aude! is the motto of the Enlightenment is almost like saying that before this time, people did not think. I think that the motto should have been “Dare to Speak!,” because people have always been able and free to think.
I’m sure this can be argued either way, but this is just my point of view about the discussion this week. Please Dare to Speak!

4 comments:

  1. While I do not completely agree with you, I do think you have made some excellent points. I think that the idea of "dare to know" is incomplete, but I do not think that it is as on the surface as just daring to think. I believe we must consider other definitions of "know".

    1.know how to do or perform something
    2.be aware of the truth of something; have a belief or faith in something; regard as true beyond any doubt
    3.know the nature or character of
    4.be able to distinguish, recognize as being different

    These are just a few picked up through a Google search. Taking these meanings into account I believe that "dare to know" is an appropriate motto for the movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Rachel. I also wrote about how I thought Sapere Aude! wasn't the best motto. I think you're accurate in saying the Philosophes get more credit than due, as truly revolutionary people didn't just sit and think about a different way of life, but in fact spoke up. I disagree that Gandhi isn't a revolutionary person. He was the first to implement peaceful protest, and led a nation in revolt. He was the change he wanted to see, so I would say that defined him appropriately as well as being memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point. I do disagree though. I think that in this time period, for the majority of the population aka peasants and the working class, speaking would have lead to a sudden and quick death. At this time people could be seen as traitors and such simply by thinking the wrong thing. You didn't have to necessarily take arms or nail letters to the church door to get yourself into trouble. If your neighbors or friends thought that you were a follower of these radical ideas, whether stated or not, your life would be on the line. I think during the Enlightenment simply being able to have your own ideas and think outside the box even without speaking was a huge step toward freedom and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do a nice job of defending your position although I am not sure that I follow your division between radical and memorable. (What elevates someone to the status of memorable?)

    While perhaps "Dare to Know" does not totally sum up the extent of the Enlightenment, I would argue that it works well as a motto since despite their various emphases and ideas, all philosophes would advocate the use of one's own reason to know things for one's self and to free one's self from ignorance or blind acceptance.

    ReplyDelete